Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tiny "Art" - Starry, Starry Night

I have seen ACEO art trading cards on blogs and Etsy and thought they sounded fun.  I wanted to try to make them because one of the blogs I read was having a swap.  I decided that since I am not really an artist I would feel bad sending one to someone who probably actually made something beautiful with their card.  So, I just got some pre-cut cards and started playing.  I thought it would be fun to play around with a tiny picture between projects to kind of wind down and do something I didn’t have to think about too much.

I bought pre-cut cards because it’s simpler and they were really inexpensive.  I’m so glad I did!  I ordered from Fan She Folds on Etsy.  The owner of the shop was so helpful!  I really didn’t know what I wanted to buy since I didn’t know exactly what I was going to do.  I explained that I wanted to use felt on some of the cards so I didn’t know what weight to buy.  She offered to split the order and let me try two weights.  Awesome!  I highly recommend using this shop anytime you decide to buy pre-cut ACEO cards.

**************************************************************************

The first card I made is called Starry, Starry Night.  People who read my blog regularly know I love the sky.  Because of this I look at it often.  Almost every time I look up at a starry sky the song Vincent by Don Mclean pops into my head.

Starry, starry night
Paint your palette blue and gray
Look out on a summer's day
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul

It's such a sad song but it really is beautiful, isn't it?  It was stuck in my head again the other night so I made my first picture for that song.  It's still stuck in my head!  Good thing I like it!  :-)



 
For this tiny picture I just used glue and extra fine glitter and then I cut out some yellow felt stars.  At first I was going to cut out a white crescent moon from felt and glue it on, but then I decided a white button full moon would be cuter. 

This is not a very good photo.  I had so much to do today so I went outside on my lunch break and just took a picture of it on the back of my felt notebook cover.  :-)


This was a mess up picture but I thought it looked kind of cool with the sparkly glitter.


There you have it!  It’s my tiny picture of a Starry, Starry Night.  I know it’s very kiddish but I’m not trying to make some amazing work of art.  I just want a stress free project that I can work on between real projects so I can still be creative.  I want to try to use more felt on future cards...like I want to completely cover the card in felt and do a fun sewing/felt thing (I'm still have some planning to do...obviously). For now I’m just having fun.  I have a couple of other ideas I might try.  I'll post them as I finish them. 

2 comments:

Velma said...

I think it is extra CUTE!
I love that you used a button!!!

AJ said...

Whatever! I think it's cute :)
(I'm totally in love with the sky, too!)