Monday, June 7, 2010

Happiness is...Random Acts of Kindness


I had a really great experience on Saturday that inspired me to write this happiness post.  It wasn't any amazing or life changing moment.  It was just one little random act of kindness that made me smile.  I told this story in my craft adventure post but I wanted to revisit it here one more time. 

I spent my day on Saturday shopping for craft supplies and one thing that I needed was turquoise double fold bias tape.  I soon found out that this was impossible to find.  I went to three stores and could not find it anywhere.  But in that third store I started up a conversation with a lady that was looking at the bias tape about her beautiful fabric.  She asked me what I was looking for and I told her.  She just happened to have the last package of the exact thing I had been searching for all day.  After we talked for a couple of minutes she ended up giving me the bias tape and wouldn't take no for an answer.  This made my day!


I am a receptionist at my job.  One of my duties is to assign conference rooms for meetings.  Of course this means that everyone comes up  to my desk and asks me where they need to be when they forget.  Well, today someone came over and asked me where her meeting is so I just told her like I always do.  Before she walked away she said, "I just wanted to tell you that you do a great job."  It made me feel so good to know that someone appreciated what I do there.  Most of the time I just assume that I am invisible at work since I am at the front desk by myself almost all day.


It's pretty great how a couple of nice words or one small gesture can change so much.  Think of how great it feels when someone says something nice to you.  Imagine what the world could be like if more people looked outside of themselves and practiced just one small act of kindness every once in a while.

I want people to feel the happiness I feel when someone pays me a compliment or does something that makes my day.  I plan to spend  my week trying to find ways to pay it forward with random acts of kindness.  Hopefully the kindness will spread from me to the people around me and then to the people around them...




May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
-Bob Dylan

4 comments:

chelsey. said...

that's so nice that she gave you the bias tape..and i love that somebody complimented you at your work. i work front desk at a hotel and we rarely (okay, so never) get a thank you for all of the things we do for guests. i think i would fall over in shock if we did!

Velma said...

You deserve kindness too!!!!!! As many kind things you do for other people, I'm glad you get them back too!!!!!
CUTE post BTW

Anonymous said...

Marci,
This was the best post ever. I am so glad that someone commented on what you do. That is always a good thing. Thanks for sharing.

Mom

Jess said...

I love this post! I totally agree with you. Not only is it a wonderful thing to be the recipient of random acts of kindness, but even more so to be the "doer" of random acts of kindness. It is hard to live in a world that tell us to take care of ourselves mostly, then secondly be concerned for the sake of others. It really should be the other way around. Thanks for such a great post!