Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spotlight on In The Heights



In The Heights is a musical about a community struggling with keeping it's traditions alive while also remaining current with today's society.  It's about a group of people living in Washington Heights.  They all have their own dreams to fulfill but they have to do this while remembering where home really is. 

Here's a little sneak peek!


Lin-Manuel Miranda is the genius behind this amazing show.  He started writing it when he was in college at Wesleyan University and with a little help from his friends Thomas Kail (director), Andy Blankenbuehler (choreography), Alex Lacamoire (music director) and Quiara Alegría Hudes (book) he turned this show into one of the most innovative musicals to come out in a long time.  I was not surprised at all when it won the Tony award for Best Musical in 2008.

A little more Awesomeness

The music in this show is so fantastic!  It is a mixture of hip hop, latin and old school show tuney goodness.  There's something for every kind of music lover.  The first time I heard a song from this show I was hooked!  It's the perfect marriage between musical styles.  Miranda knows how to do it!  He stayed true to his roots while also taking chances and trying new things.  To him there are no rules. 

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the great dacing in this show.  So great!!!

It makes you want to dance, doesn't it?

I have wanted to see this show from the start.  And today I finally got that chance.  The touring cast is playing at Bass Concert Hall in Austin this weekend for the Broadway Across America Tour.  My mom and I have season tickets and I've been counting down the season waiting for this one.  I absolutely loved Sabrina Sloan as Vanessa!!!  She was on American Idol.  The show was even better than I hoped it would be.  I have had this connection with the music from the start but seeing it live just made it that much more amazing.  I really loved it!!

I wish I could have seen it in New York with the original cast because they are so spectacular but this is almost as good.  The original cast had some amazing talents that I love including Lin-Manuel Miranda, Chris Jackson, Karen Olivo, Robin de Jesus and Mandy Gonzalez.  They became those characters for me.  But it's not about the actors.  It's about the story and the story lived up to every hope I had for it.  If you ever get a chance to see this show I recommend that you do.  Lin-Manuel Miranda has an amazing career ahead of him.  I can't wait to see what else he comes up with.






While writing this post today I found out that they are making In The Heights into a movie! I'm so excited!!! Lin-Manuel Miranda will star in the movie!! I can't wait!!! I think it comes out next year so I will keep you posted.


Bonus Material: Lin-Manuel Miranda and Chris Jackson are in a hip hop comedy group called Freestyle Love Supreme together.

Here's a story about them

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I only knew Lin-Manuel Miran from the Electric Company? -Erin

marci said...

It's not bad at all! It's cute!! And now you know a little bit more about him. :)

And, just for you, Lin-Manuel Miranda on The Electric Company...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8jSVzo700

Thanks for reading!!