Friday, October 15, 2010

Rio

In honor of Blog Action Day 2010 I decided to make a new plushie!

Meet Rio!


Rio is a clean water drop.  He loves to travel and dreams of seeing the whole world one day.  But right now there just isn't a place for a clean water drop like Rio in some parts of the world.  Will you help make Rio's dream come true?  There are lots of ways to help. 


{source}


Charity: Water started from Scott Harrison asking his friends to donate $20 towards building a well instead of buying him a birthday gift.  One small gesture built a well and will save the lives of a comunity for years to come. 

$20 can give clean drinking water to one person for 20 years.


{source}

This morning I decided to start a fundraiser with Charity: Water and try to raise enough money to build a well.  That's $5000.  And I have three months to do it.  I am always so ispired to see crafty people using their gifts to help out in some way.  I would love to see how much we can raise as a community for this cause.  Of course my inspiration to do this hit me at 5:30 this morning when I didn't have time to set it all up! So, I will set up the fundraiser today and post it on my blog tomorrow so anyone who wants to take part and donate can.  I'm not asking for any huge amount of money from you. Just if you have a little something to spare.  It means a lot to me...and Rio!  ;-)

I don't have my Etsy shop up and running yet, but plan to be ready after the holiday craziness.  In addition to my regular items I plan to make more Rios and have them for sale.  All money made from any Rio sales will be donated directly to Charity: Water.

If you would like to learn more about the Charity: Water organization before you  commit to donating money you can click the picture below to go to their website.




One in eight people on the planet do not have clean drinking water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll be back tomorrow with my 365 Project and the information on how you can donate to help us build a well.  :-)

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Wow, that's really awesome of you Marci! I would love a Rio plushie!

marci said...

Thanks! As soon as I have some more made I will let you know. :)