Monday, August 2, 2010

Craft Academy - Water Bottle Carrier

We learned how to make a really cute water bottle carrier in Craft Academy


It's actually a really simple project and I like the way it looks.  It has french seams, lining and a round bottom which are all things I have done before but for some reason on this project I was very intimidated by them.  I think I kind of doomed myself from the beginning on this one.  It made me nervous from the beginning of the class so I put it off for as long as I possibly could.  Then I decided I needed to just go for it!  

I thought I made my seam allowances extra big so that I wouldn't have any problems but somehow they came out too small.  I couldn't use the water bottle I was making it for.  But, it does work for a smaller size.  Then I messed up on my french seam!  I have done these before with no problems.  I just didn't catch all of the fabric in the seam when I sewed it.  It's an easy fix.  I was just ready to be done.  ;-)  

I ended up having to get my mom to help me sew the bottom on because I couldn't figure it out.  Everytime I have sewn a round bottom onto something it's been larger so it's a little easier to work with.  This was very hard for me.  She helped me pin it and then we just hand sewed it.  

I'm glad I was brave enough to try this project.  I just forgot that I need to go into a project ready to learn something and not looking for a perfect outcome.  Somtimes I forget...especially when I have had a few projects go really well.  Then when something doesn't come out like I hope it's extra frustrating.  Oh well.  I completed it.  It looks decent and serves its purpose so I'm going to call it a success and move on to the next project.  :-)  I have lots of fun projects planned!!  I'm so excited!!! 

5 comments:

Velma said...

love love love the fabric! It looks super cute! You did a great job!!! I know it was intimidating, but you got it done! yeah you!

Maggie said...

You're so crafty! Don't be afraid of those mistakes, they build character and they make life interesting! Besides, no one else can really see them anyway, if you didn't tell us about them, we'd never know. ;-)

Bridget said...

awesome! i really like the fabric and the handle color is such a good choice!

marci said...

Thanks for all the encouragement and sweet words. I'm feeling much better about it now. You guys are awesome! :)

Cheryl said...

I love it and thanks for giving it to me.