Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's the Little Things



I was reading PostSecret and drinking my coffee on Sunday morning (it's my Sunday morning ritual) and there was a video at the end for The Book of Awesome.  I watched the video and immediately fell in love with this amazing idea. 


The book is actually based on a blog called  1000 Awesome Things.  It's a simple idea.  List awesome things.  Every weekday the author writes a post about something awesome.  The best part?  It doesn't have to be some big, amazing thing.  He writes about little things that can brighten your day.  I browsed through some of the past posts of awesome things and found some fun ideas.  One awesome thing was catching somebody singing alone in their car and sharing a laugh with them.  Another one was coming back from lunch to a way better parking spot.  The smell of Play-Doh made the list, too!  I liked #585 - figuring out the plot twist just before they reveal it.  This has never happened to me.  Maybe someday.  :-)

I just think it's so great to look at the little things in our lives that make us happy.  Not every great moment has to be a huge life changing event.  Sometimes the littlest thing makes us smile and saves the day. 


So, I decided I'm going to try to look at my own life this way.  I'm going to try to see the happy moments the little things bring.  Not just the big stuff.  It's much better than dwelling on the negative.  If something is bringing me down I will make an extra effort to find something that made me happy.  I'm going to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative (yeah, I did just say that!).

My plan is to write a series of blogs called "Happiness is..." to share some of these moments with you...and maybe you can share some of your happy moments with me, too.  Feel free to comment on any of my blogs and tell me about the little things that happen to make you smile.  I can't wait to hear your stories!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. When I read your blog, it makes me happy.

Mom

Velma said...

love it!
This morning when I went to Starbucks, someone had paid for the coffee for the car behind them. 19 cars later, it was still going, so the car in front of me paid for my coffee! I had to keep it going, so that was at least 20 cars of paying it forward! that made me happy!